Sunday, July 01, 2007

MORE DOBLY

I mentioned in the last post that I was listening to myself as I mix finished tracks that I want to transfer to CD. This is an endless cornucopia of choices, as you wade through the department store of possibilities. Back in the day, a musical idea was rehearsed & recorded within an eight hour time frame. You just did not have the cash in your pocket to spend hours pouring over an idea. With the advent of digital technology, I have years at my disposal when it comes to examining & developing ideas; problem is that I sometimes wonder if by the 120th version of a mix that I have missed the point.

The theory occured to me that when you have nothing and can only paint in basic colours you improvise. Through that improvisation, you mutate idea's in to a feasable process. The point I am trying to make is that,as my musical pallette has grown bigger am I choosing colours because I can, rather than because they are right ? Which asks the question; Do more colours make a better picture ?

In response to e-mails asking how I look at 50, here is the defintive portrait of a man who has had 4 hours sleep in the last 48, watching America's cup racing on TV at 02.00 am in the morning. Then having to mix tracks that I recorded over a year ago... go figure.

No comments: