Saturday, June 30, 2007

DRUMMERS

Q: How do you know when there is a drummer at the door ?
A: He never knows when to come in


Ah the much maligned engine room of any band. If the Starship Enterprise was a band then Scotty would be the drummer. Apart from been the butt of some not so very high brow musical jokes,it is important to understand that if you do not have someone in the engine room who can nail a beat to the floor;you are dead in the water.
Here are some of my favourites.....

Omar Hakim

Replaced Pete Erskine in Weather Report, since then has been in demand as a session player. I have seen him play live & can testify that he has the goods when it comes down to the wire.

Topper Headon

The nerve centre of The Clash, given the numerous styles thrown his way he made an admirable fist of all of them. The band was never the same once he discovered heroin.

John Bonham

If Led Zeppelin did not have this man behind the kit I suspect they would have been more watered down than Australian beer.
The fact that he is one of the most sampled drummers ever testifies to his understanding of what drives a band along.
I once read a description of his playing that compared him to a steam engine, all pistons, crankshafts & whirring flywheels.....perfect.

Terry Bozzio

Jeff Beck likes to play in 5/4 time, this guy plays it like he is having a stroll in the park.If you listen to Guitar Shop you will know exactly what I mean.
Great sound & great playing.

A special mention has to be made here to a man I have had the privilege of working with myself. We met in our very first band, rehearsing after school & playing local youth groups. Next came a couple of very serious bands before we went our separate ways. Always a great laugh with a very sharp eye for social comment, I enjoyed his playing in many of the more salubrious & dangerous bars of England.So without further delay, Mr P Richardson step forward & claim your entry in my top 5 drummers.

In other news it is crunch night tonight, Team New Zealand are down to Alinghi 3 to 2 in the best of 9 America's Cup series. 4 to go & we have to win 3 of them.Go Kiwi's !

The All Blacks play Aussie in Melbourne for the Bledisloe cup, bring it home guys.

listening to

Heaps of my own tracks as I master them for CD
I hate post production mixing,

No comments: