Wednesday, November 01, 2006

HAKA

On Sunday The All Blacks take on England at Twickenham.

Normally I support my old country in all things except when they play New Zealand. That may seem a little dis loyal but NZ is my home now & I didn’t move out here to create a little England. So on Monday morning at 04.30 am I will wipe the sleep from my eyes, get my tea & toast & settle down to watch the game.
I promise not to skite about it afterwards but on current form you would have to pick the AB’s to take England apart.
I also suspect that there will be the usual whingeing about the Haka that we traditionally perform before the game. It is a challenge, accept it & get over it. It beats “ swing low sweet chariot “ that is for sure.

"Ka Mate"


Leader: Ringa pakia!
Uma tiraha!
Turi whatia!
Hope whai ake!
Waewae takahia kia kino!

Leader: Ka mate, ka mate ’Tis death, ‘tis death (or: I may die)
Team: Ka ora, ka ora ’Tis life, ‘tis life (or: I may live)
Leader: Ka mate, ka mate ’Tis death, ‘tis death
Team: Ka ora, ka ora ’Tis life, ‘tis life
All: Tēnei te tangata pūhuruhuru This the hairy man that stands here...
Nāna nei i tiki mai whakawhiti te rā …who brought the sun and caused it to shine
Ā upane, ka upane A step upward, another step upward
Ā upane, ka upane A step upward, another step upward
Whiti te rā, hī! The sun shines!


Listening to

Neil Finn
The Feelers

No comments: