Monday, September 11, 2006

Retrospective # 04

Bob Marley & the Wailers: Live at the Lyceum 1975

Summer 1975 I was hanging with 2 Jamaican guys, Sam & Errol. They taught me a lot, but the one thing they introduced me to was the sound & rhythm of reggae. Dub was really big in the UK back then & these two fed me a constant supply of dub B sides to absorb.

Through them I discovered Peter Tosh, Bunny Wailer, Big Youth, Burning Spear, The Mighty Diamonds & Bob Marley. I think the first Marley album I listened to was Natty Dread. I lost touch with my 2 friends over that autumn as they moved away, but rushed out to buy this album as soon as it hit the racks.

From the opening track of Trenchtown Rock, I was hooked. The music has remained for me as relevant as ever, but at that time who would have thought he would have such enormous cross over success ? Personal favourites have to be the a forementioned opening cut,along with Get up stand up, Them belly full & Lively up yourself.

At a time when most bands were losing direction this to me was real rebel music, that spoke about dignity & struggle. Eerily setting the scene for what was about to happen in the UK the following year when punk arrived on our turn tables

One good thing about music, when it hits you feel OK,
So hit me with music, hit me with music, ………………….Miss you Bob

No comments: