I was sitting in my room reading on Monday evening, when the door burst open, there was the flatmate, pointing to her throat & trying to gasp out the word "Choking " in between laboured, wheezing, breaths.
I leapt to my feet bent her over & used the heimlich maneuver to dislodge the blockage. As soon as I did, a piece of half chewed meat shot across my room & the flatmate began to breathe. Although she had a little delayed shock she was otherwise fine in a few hours. Thank goodness for first aid training.