Thursday, August 30, 2007

R.I.P.

I have in the past got in to numerous discussions about the future of music & the moral rights/wrongs of downloading music illegally.

As a musician, the speed of change & the availability of music from so many sources, never ceases to amaze me. From a moral standpoint, I would have to say that in my own view downloading is up to the individual.

I am happy for people to download my own music for free as I would rather someone listened, instead of it gathering dust on the hard drive. I feel that if my income depended on my ability as a musician, then I would expect some recompense for my creative work. However, I would still make a number of tracks available as a marketing tool. In fact I would also allow people to openly remix & change those tracks so that they could be re posted for others to hear, possibly incorporating them in to future projects. All I would ask is that my name remained on the credits as the original idea was mine.

When I hear record company executives whine & whinge about downloading, all I feel is a smug satisfaction that their days on the gravy train are numbered. The digital age & all its possibilities took them completely by surprise. They were too busy trying to protect their profits & lifestyles to see the future.
It took Steve Jobs to come along & do that.

I also hate the way, that over the course of my life, the software & hardware for accessing music have changed so frequently. The last straw was Cd's & trying to repurchase a large collection of vinyl albums for a second time ( the first been cassettes ). In other words I don't feel any guilt downloading music from bands whose product I have bought at least twice. In the case of some artists 3 or 4 times.

So the slogan should be.... Downloading isn't killing music...it's killing the music industry...and not fast enough for my liking.

Listening to

Seth Lakeman
Franz Ferdinand
John Coltrane
Weather Report
Courtney Pine

No comments: