Sunday, September 24, 2006

RIFF

I spent time yesterday morning showing my son the riff to Smoke on the water, probably the mainstay riff for all guitar bluffers the world over as they try out instruments in music stores. The riff is very easy but so memorable, simple enough for a 7 year old to master on both keyboard & guitar. Those 4 notes together have become part of rock history, in fact I even stole the notes for a riff of my own back in the day.

H has returned from Spain & the children were dropped back at home by me this morning, it is the first day of the school holidays, so I suspect they will be traveling to see their maternal grand parents in Hamilton this week. In the meantime I have nothing to do but watch the footy on TV & enjoy the peace & quiet, if the weather holds at the weekend I will be heading out in to the Waitakere ranges for a good long walk.

A friend I have just recently been in touch with gave me some sad news last week, I am not going to dwell on it within the confines of this blog, just to say that the harsh reality of our mortality has begun to strike home. The loss of people from our generation has now begun.

Listening to

Weather Report
Living Colour
Jeff Beck
Bill Nelson

No comments: